Leaves and Accommodations

Employees with medical conditions that increase their vulnerability and susceptibility relative to COVID-19 are responsible for notifying their supervisor and Human Resources if they are in need of an accommodation. The employee may contact Human Resources to seek accommodations for their condition, but supervisors can work with the employee and Human Resources to identify alternative work arrangements and/or seek support/resources. MMC will follow ADA guidelines for special accommodations, although non-medical accommodations will be considered (view the Accommodation Request procedures and form).

Accommodations Under the ADA

The College follows the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Under the ADA, the College will make reasonable accommodations for workers with medical conditions when such accommodations would not impose undue hardship. Employees of the College who have one of the medical conditions identified here by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are considered at higher risk for COVID-19. This generally includes individuals over the age of 65 and anyone with an underlying medical condition.

An employee who is at higher risk should consult the CDC’s extra precautions advice here and speak to their healthcare provider. Employees who are at higher risk and who have been instructed to return to work on-campus may seek ADA Reasonable Accommodations by speaking with their supervisor and contacting Human Resources.

When an employee that is considered high-risk exposure to COVID-19 requests an accommodation, the College will provide options for alternative work assignments where possible, such as telework, alternative work locations, reassignment, or social distancing measures.

When alternative work assignments are not possible, the employee can use any of their accrued paid time off.

Procedure for Requesting Accommodations

Under the ADA the College will make reasonable accommodations for workers with medical conditions. Accommodations should not impose undue hardship to the College. Employees of the college who have one or more of the medical conditions identified here by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) will be considered higher risk for COVID-19 and will be covered under ADA. Information provided to the Office of Human Resources will be maintained in confidence.

Step-by-Step Instructions

If you have been instructed to return to work on-site and have concerns and seek accommodations, please follow the instructions below:

  1. Speak to your supervisor about the concern. The supervisor will then contact the Human Resources Department.
  2. Your supervisor or the Human Resources Department will provide you with the Accommodation for Alternative Work Arrangements Form to fill out.
  3. Please complete the form and return to the Human Resources Department no later than a week from when the process has been completed.

The Human Resources Department will contact you for additional information regarding the request. Please be advised documentation may be required from your health care or rehabilitation professional regarding your medical condition.

Family Medical Leave (FMLA) and NY Paid Family Leave (PFL)

If you or a member of your immediate family is sick, you may take sick leave and may be eligible for FMLA leave (and if eligible, NY PFL if your family member is sick). Please review FMLA and PFL section of the Staff Handbook for more information.

To request for FMLA and PFL please review this section of the Staff Handbook for the procedures. In addition to the procedures listed in the Staff Handbook, you will also be required to call Hartford at 1-800-549-6514. The policy number for Hartford is 631940. The Hartford manages and determines the college’s FMLA and PFL based on Department of Labor guidelines. More information on FMLA can be found here.

COVID-19 Related Leave and Reporting on ADP Time and Attendance

The leave code FF-PSL-EE has been created in ADP Time and Attendance to allow for staff to use up to an additional 10 days of sick time for absences related to COVID-19. This may include COVID related illness or mandatory quarantine related to exposure to COVID-19. These days are in addition to regular accrued paid time off. The FF-PSL-EE time off code may be used in hourly increments or full or half days as needed.

  • Staff members should use and record regular accrued paid time off if they are:
    Sick unrelated to COVID-19
  • Caring for family members who are sick with either COVID related or non COVID related illness
  • Caring for a child/children and unable to work remotely
  • Have voluntarily traveled to any country for which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a level two or three travel health notice or any state with a positive test rate higher than 10 per 100,000 residents, or higher than a 10% test positivity rate, over a seven day rolling average

For additional information regarding leave options, please contact Kevin Ng, Director of Benefits, Compensation and HRIS, at kng@mmm.edu.  

Parents of School-Aged Children or Caregivers

If an employee of the college has childcare issues that prevent them from being able to work on campus, supervisors should work with the employee to determine if there is an appropriate remote or flexible work arrangement. If the employee’s role is one that cannot be performed remotely, the employee should contact the Human Resources Department. Alternatively, the employee may request to use accrued paid time off to cover absence from work.

Vacation Time/ Carry-Over

Please refer to the vacation policy in the MMC Handbook for more information. Given our current circumstances, employees are encouraged to utilize their paid time off. It is important that employees maintain their work life balance and take breaks from work. Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Employee Wellness

The College recognizes that many employees are understandably feeling overwhelmed during this challenging time. Each employee’s overall well-being is of great concern. The College has an Ability Assistance program through ComPscych which offers counseling. The service includes up to three face-to face emotional or work life counseling sessions per occurrence per year. For access over the phone, call 1-800-96-HELPS or visit www.guidenceresources.com, First-Time user, click on the Register will need to enter HLF902 for Organization Web ID and ABILI for Company Name field.

Additional Questions

Faculty should contact Peter Naccarato, Interim Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the Faculty.

Staff should contact Bree Bullingham, Associate Vice President for Human Resources.