Employment for International Students

F-1 Students have some opportunities to engage in authorized employment in the U.S. Please click on each option below for more information and eligibility requirements. 

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

OPT is a 12-month opportunity for F-1 Students to get work experience in the field they are studying. There are two types of OPT: Pre-Completion OPT and Post-Completion OPT. Employment authorization is granted by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Application processing time for USCIS takes 45-90 days. The application fee is $410.

Student Eligibility Requirements for OPT

  • Maintained lawful F-1 status
  • Has been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year
  • Employment is directly related to a student’s major

Pre-Completion OPT

This type of OPT is done while students are still pursuing their undergraduate degree at Marymount. Students can work part-time (20 hours or less) during required semesters or full-time (20 hours or more) during school vacation periods. Students can apply for OPT 90 days before requested start date. It is not required for students to have a job when applying for pre-completion OPT, but it is highly recommended. The amount of time used during pre-completion OPT takes away from the 12-month post-completion OPT. 

Post-Completion OPT

This type of OPT is done after completing all degree requirements and students have officially graduated from Marymount Manhattan College. While doing post-completion OPT, students must work full-time (20 hours or more). Students can apply for post-completion OPT 90 days before their program end date or 60 days after their program end date. Students do not need a job to apply for post-completion OPT. Students must complete their OPT 14 months after their program end date.

Here are some Frequently Asked Questions(opens in a new tab) regarding Post-Completion OPT. Please review and reach out to the International Student Services Coordinator with any questions.

How to Apply

If a student is interested in doing Pre-Completion or Post-Completion OPT, please review the OPT procedures and application and speak to the International Student Services Coordinator.

Maintaining Status while on OPT

  • Work only in your major field of study and within the dates that you have been authorized on your Employment Authorization Document (EAD).
  • Update your OPT Student Portal with the following information regarding jobs during OPT. The must be done every time there is a change/interruption in employment and within 10 days of the change.
    • Employer’s name
    • Employer’s address
    • Start date
    • End date
    • Job title
    • Job description
    • Amount of hours per week
    • Paid or unpaid (specific salary is not required)
  • Do not exceed more than 90 days of unemployment.
  • Update your OPT Student Portal of a change in address within 10 days of moving.
  • Obtain a travel signature from the International Student Services Coordinator every six months.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT is authorized employment that is an integral part of the F-1 Student’s major curriculum. Authorization is given by the International Student Services Coordinator. Students must get authorization for CPT before beginning their internship. Students will be authorized for CPT on a semester basis.

Eligibility Requirements for CPT

  • Has been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year
  • Be in lawful F-1 status at the time of application
  • Has a job offer that is related to the student’s major
  • Has a minimum GPA of 2.8 and 30 credits completed at MMC (15 credits for transfer students)
  • Must be receiving credit for the internship (either through Career Services or as a requirement of student’s major)

How to Apply

If a student is interested in doing CPT, please review the CPT procedures and application. For any questions, please speak to the International Student Services Coordinator.

To apply to receive credit for the internship, please follow Career Services’ instructions here regarding the application process.

On-Campus Employment

Requirements for On-Campus Employment

  • Employment must be directly related to providing service for students at the institution.
  • Students must be enrolled full-time to be eligible for employment.
  • Employment cannot exceed more than 20 hours per week while school is in session.
  • Students may work full-time during breaks and vacations as long as they are enroll full-time for the next required semester.

The International Student Services Coordinator must be notified and approve on-campus employment.

Financial Hardship

Students can receive work authorization for financial hardship under special circumstances. This work authorization must be approved and authorized by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The application fee is $380.

Requirements for Financial Hardship

  • Student must be enrolled full-time for one academic year
  • Student must be unable to obtain on-campus employment or the compensation of the on-campus employment is insufficient to the student’s financial needs.
  • Student meets one or more of the following circumstances that are subject to approval for severe economic hardship:
    • Loss of financial aid due to no fault of the student
    • Loss of on-campus employment if it is not the student’s fault and no other on-campus job is available
    • Large increase in tuition or living costs
    • Substantial decrease in the relative value of the currency that the student depends upon to pay expenses
    • Unexpected changes in the financial condition of the student’s sources of financial support
    • Unexpected large medical bills
    • Other substantial, unexpected expenses

For more information and guidance for Financial Hardship, please contact the International Student Services Coordinator.

Social Security

When F-1 students are granted work authorization through OPT, CPT, On-Campus Employment or Financial Hardship, they are eligible to apply for a Social Security number. There is no cost for this service. Please look at the required documents to apply here. The application for a new Social Security number is here

The closest Social Security Administration office to Marymount Manhattan College is located at:

123 William Street
3 rd Floor
New York, NY 10038

Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.