Federal Work Study Program

Work study may be included in a student’s financial aid package. The Federal Work-Study Program is a form of self-help financial assistance. The program funds a limited number of part-time employment opportunities for both on and off campus jobs. This provides a student with the ability to work and earn money to offset a portion of their college living expenses. 

A student’s federal work-study award depends on when you apply, your need, and the amount of funding MMC receives.  Being awarded a Federal Work-Study grant does not guarantee you will get a job in the program or on-campus.  Additional jobs may become available throughout the school year.  To find out about vacancies, contact the Federal Work-Study Coordinator in the Center for Student Services. Please note that FWS awards cannot be applied directly to a student’s bill.


All students who have filed a FAFSA will receive a Financial Aid Award Package. Eligible work-study students will have “CWS” indicated on their award letter with an amount.


Students can work a maximum of 19.5 hours per week while school is in session and 35 hours per week during spring break or summer when school is not in session. Departments prefer to hire students who have at least a two-hour block of time available. Supervisors approve students’ hours based on departmental need and your remaining Federal Work-Study funds. Students may only work the number of hours per week indicated on the Federal Work-Study Referral Form.

Students are not permitted to begin working until the FWS supervisor submits a Federal Work-Study Referral Form, an Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9), and a W-4 Form to the Center for Student Services. The student may begin working once the Center for Student Services approves the Federal Work-Study Referral Form. The Center for Student Services will notify the supervisor of the approval. Students resigning from their jobs must notify the Center for Student Services and provide their supervisor with at least two weeks’ notice. Supervisors must submit a Federal Work-Study Change/Termination Form to the Center for Student Services to officially finalize the resignation.

Off-Campus Federal Work-Study

Marymount Manhattan College must use at least 7% of its Federal Work-Study (FWS) allocation to employ students in community service jobs. Employing Federal Work-Study students in these positions serve the needs of the community and gives the students an enriching and rewarding experience.

Community Services are services designed to improve the quality of life for community residents, particularly low-income individuals, or to solve particular problems related to their needs through nonprofit, governmental, and community-based organizations.

Working for services related to the student’s academic or vocational goals is encouraged, but not required. The work performed, however, must be in the public interest. Work in the public interest is defined as work performed for the welfare of the community, rather than work performed for a particular interest or group.

Marymount Manhattan College’s community service program offers students jobs tutoring children from Pre-K to 6th grade in reading and math through the America Reads Program.

If you are interested in an off-campus employment opportunity, please complete the Public Service Corps Application and return it with a copy of your resume to the Center for Student Services located in the lower level of the Nugent Building. We will forward your application to Public Service Corps. If you meet the requirements for employment, Public Service Corps will notify you and schedule an interview with you.

Federal Work-Study Interview

After you have selected a job and made an appointment for an interview, prepare for the interview by doing the following:

  • Prepare a professional resume
  • Be on time for your interview
  • Be well-groomed and appropriately dressed
  • Be prepared to discuss the hours you are available to work

Student Workers’ Responsibilities

  • Act in a professional manner.
  • Learn your duties and complete all assignments on time.
  • Maintain confidentiality of assigned department documentation.
  • Notify your supervisor as early in the day as possible that you will be out or if you are going to be late.
  • Refrain from conducting personal business on the job, e.g. course assignments.
  • Accurately record your work hours on the time sheet.
  • Take your job seriously and perform your task to the best of you ability.

How to Calculate Work Hours

Divide the total FWS award by the rate of pay. This gives the total number of student work hours. Then, divide the total work hours by the number of hours the student may work per week. This gives the number of weeks the student will be available to work.

EXAMPLE: $3000 (FWS award/$15.00 (rate of pay) = 200 hours (total work hours/19 maximum number of hours per week) = 10 weeks of work.

The maximum number of works hours the student is available during the academic period is provided on the contract and calculated using the above formula.

Unpaid Work Breaks

It is mandatory that after 5 hours of work that the student takes a work break. One half-hour is the minimum break allowed.

Am I required to file a tax return?

Federal Work Study wages are reportable income earnings. The student is issued a W-2 form detailing the wages earned for the appropriate tax year. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure they file the appropriate Federal and State tax forms to report all income earned if required by tax laws.