Mathematics Requirements at MMC
Students at MMC have the following requirements in Mathematics, which should be taken within a student’s first 30 credits:
Prerequisite Requirement: MATH 109: Introductory Algebra or exempt by placement
Foundation Mathematics Requirement: MATH 113: Quantitative Reasoning or MATH 129: Intermediate Algebra, or higher (141 Precalculus, 210 Calculus I, etc.)
- Transfer students who enter MMC with college-level Mathematics transfer credits do not need to take another Mathematics course. You can check for this in the Evaluate Program option of MMC Connect.
- Students who have placed out of MATH 109 may want to take a higher-level course than MATH 113 or 129. They will need to email (firstname.lastname@example.org) pre-requisite waiver via the Student Services web page.
- Higher-level Mathematics courses (MATH 141 or higher) may satisfy the DS3 requirement but they cannot be used to double-dip with the Foundation Mathematics requirement.
- Courses taken at another institution (accredited college) to satisfy Mathematics requirements must be approved by the Department of Mathematics. Online courses taken at another institution must have proctored cumulative final exams. The Department of Mathematics does not give permission to take the course outside of MMC if the same course is offered at MMC in the semester when it is requested.
Higher-level placement is on a case-by-case basis. Test scores are viewable using the View Student Test Summary option of MMC Connect (use the highest score):
|Math Test||Code||Minimum Score||*New Minumem*|
|Old SAT||SAT Math||500||480|
|New SAT(from 2016)||SAT -R Math||530||510|
|Old MMC Math (sum of 2 scores)||Math Placement plus Algebra placement (Ignore Algebra II score)||Total of 46||44|
|MMC Accuplacer||Quant. Reasoning, Algebra, Stats||263||250|
Students need to meet at least one of the minimum scores. If they don’t and still would like to place out of Math 109, they should take MMC’s Accuplacer and Placement Testing exam administered via Zoom by the Center for Academic Support and Testing. Students can request to take the math placement test by emailing Ryan Cunningham at email@example.com. Students may also request that the Department of Mathematics look at other evidence such as high-school transcripts.
Students may take MATH 113 or MATH129 to satisfy foundational math requirements if they satisfy any one of the following:
- At least a grade of C– on a HS Precalculus course
- At least a grade of C on an Algebra II or Algebra/Trigonometry course
- SAT MATH (new) between 510-560
- SAT MATH (old) between 480—530
- ACT MATH between 19-22
- MMC Accuplacer (QR, Algebra & Stat) at least 250
- Old MMC Math (sum of 2 scores, Math Placement Test +Algebra Placement) at least 44
Students may take MATH 141: Precalculus to satisfy foundational math requirements if they satisfy any one of the following:
- At least a grade of B– on a High School Precalculus course
- At least a grade of A– on an Algebra II or Algebra/Trigonometry course
- SAT MATH (new) between 570-630
- SAT MATH (old) between 540-600
- ACT MATH between 23-26
Students may take MATH 210: Calculus I to satisfy foundational math requirements if they satisfy any one of the following:
- At least a grade of B on a High School Precalculus course
- At least a grade of A on an Algebra II or Algebra/Trigonometry course
- SAT MATH (new) 640 or higher
- SAT MATH (old) 610 or higher
- ACT MATH 27 or higher