- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25633_Sound_Recording_1.rev.1618418796.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Sound Design Concentration</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25605_Recording_studio.rev.1618339707.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Sound Design Concentration</h1></div></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1900/height/480/crop/1/25631_Studio_Recording_Trio.rev.1618418592.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Sound Design Concentration</h1></div></div>
Why Study Sound Design?
You are passionate about theatre. You are creative, talented, and enjoy collaborating with others. In the Sound Design concentration you will learn to think critically and create designs that support productions that address the current issues in our society. You will be actively engaged in our productions learning the practical skills needed to execute your ideas.
Why Study Sound Design at MMC?
You will receive strong conservatory training in a robust theatre program while getting a well-rounded college experience. You will develop a pre-professional design process that integrates disciplines from across the College. Experience everything New York City offers as the center of the entertainment industry. You will learn from faculty members who are working professional designers. Our design and technology course sequence builds a thorough design process incorporating technical skills, theatre history, and practical experience. Our inclusive and diverse student body have opportunities to study with New York theatre professionals, design mainstage productions, establish professional contacts, participate in a one-on-one mentorship, and obtain internships with some of New York’s major theatre designers, theatres, television studios, and film companies.
What You Will Learn
- You will learn to create and mix soundscapes for plays and working with professional sound designers learn to mix and run sound for musicals.
- You will learn to work with the latest digital software and to plan and use the equipment needed to provide sound for a live production. For example, you will have the opportunity to design the sound for productions in our Theresa Lang Theatre and similar work designing for our other venues.
- Through coursework and experiential participation in mounted production opportunities, you will learn aural and dramatic analysis, conceptualization, and research skills needed to plan designs and effectively present them to directors and other production team members.
My semester abroad at Seoul, South Korea is one of the most exciting, treasured experiences of my life. I had the opportunity to visit ancient Korean temples, explore a nearly deserted island, learn a new language, and gain a broader understanding of the world and the diverse people living in it.Kathryn Grubb ’19
Class of 2019, Marketing major, Asian Studies minor
The Philosophy and Religious Studies major taught me how to think critically and helped me develop reasoning skills which I use daily working in television. I find that the skills taught are easily transferable to a variety of careers. Further, the faculty were very supportive and instrumental in guiding me towards career development and growth as an individual during my time at Marymount.Kenan Hunter ’18
Class of 2018, Double major in Philosophy and Religious Studies and Digital Media and Video Production
A week after graduating with a BS in International Business and an Economics minor, I joined UBS in their Wealth Management division.Tamaki Kern ’16
Class of 2016, B.S. in International Business and minor in Economics
The best thing I ever did in my academic career was declaring a major in Philosophy. I am proof that the skills you learn in your Philosophy major will be vital and transferable to all industries. Majoring in Philosophy provided me the confidence to ask fundamental questions and encouraged me to dig deeper into human thinking. Following my studies at MMC, I began my Master’s in Media Management at The New School and furthered my work experience in all types of industries (legal, music, non-profit). I remember interviewing for my current position at a tech company and the co-founder asked me about my Philosophy degree. Discussing my critical thinking skills and showcasing my curiosity for the human condition and its relationship to the digital world made me stand out from other candidates. The PHIL/RS department prepared me to look at all sides, develop effective strategy through argumentation, and engage with important issues.Sabrina Sooknanan ’19
Class of 2019, Double major in Philosophy and Religious Studies and Business, Social Entrepreneurship concentration
Being a psychology major and neuroscience minor at MMC prepared me for my graduate studies (Mental Health Counseling). Having previous knowledge on Epigenetics among other important topics from my neuroscience courses has helped me be a step ahead in most of my graduate courses today. My Psych and Neuroscience courses provided me with indispensable skills that taught me how to read and comprehend journal articles in addition to a full year learning how to use SPSS for statistical analysis. I’m a step ahead in my program because of the challenging psych and neuroscience courses I enrolled in at MMC.Ryanna Brown ’18
Class of 2018, Major in Psychology, Minor in Neuroscience
MMC’s New York City
The center of theatre in the United States, NYC is an amazing city in which to find your artistic voice. The College is centrally located in Manhattan and offers classes that allow students to experience the richness of the city. Our students are exposed to great theatre – on Broadway, Off-Broadway, along Theatre Row, and downtown in experimental theaters. Performance research and study is available throughout the city. Internships. Apprenticeships. Emerging media. This city is your campus.