- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/25631_Studio_Recording_Trio.rev.1618418592.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Sound Design Concentration</h1></div><!-- LW: otherwise show the image caption if a caption exists --><!-- LW: Video comes last so it doesn't break other content --></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/25605_Recording_studio.rev.1618339707.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Sound Design Concentration</h1></div><!-- LW: otherwise show the image caption if a caption exists --><!-- LW: Video comes last so it doesn't break other content --></div>
- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/95/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/25633_Sound_Recording_1.rev.1618418796.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Sound Design Concentration</h1></div><!-- LW: otherwise show the image caption if a caption exists --><!-- LW: Video comes last so it doesn't break other content --></div>
You are passionate about theatre. You are creative, talented, and enjoy collaborating with others. In the Sound Design concentration you will learn to think critically and create designs that support productions that address the current issues in our society. You will be actively engaged in our productions learning the practical skills needed to execute your ideas.
Why Study Sound Design at MMC?
You will receive strong conservatory training in a robust theatre program while getting a well-rounded college experience. You will develop a pre-professional design process that integrates disciplines from across the College. Experience everything New York City offers as the center of the entertainment industry. You will learn from faculty members who are working professional designers. Our design and technology course sequence builds a thorough design process incorporating technical skills, theatre history, and practical experience. Our inclusive and diverse student body have opportunities to study with New York theatre professionals, design mainstage productions, establish professional contacts, participate in a one-on-one mentorship, and obtain internships with some of New York’s major theatre designers, theatres, television studios, and film companies.
What You Will Learn
- You will learn to create and mix soundscapes for plays and working with professional sound designers learn to mix and run sound for musicals.
- You will learn to work with the latest digital software and to plan and use the equipment needed to provide sound for a live production. For example, you will have the opportunity to design the sound for productions in our Theresa Lang Theatre and similar work designing for our other venues.
- Through coursework and experiential participation in mounted production opportunities, you will learn aural and dramatic analysis, conceptualization, and research skills needed to plan designs and effectively present them to directors and other production team members.
“I feel lucky to have had the support from the professors at MMC who have continued to serve as mentors post graduation, and my incredible support system of friends who I met during my time at MMC. The Communication and Media Arts department provided me with a foundation of media skills, research experience, and internship opportunities have prepared me for my next step.”Sarah Rosenthal ’18
I started at MMC as a B.F.A. acting major, but soon realized that I was really a director at heart. The flexibility of the Theatre program...allowed me to study directing AND acting, as well as musical theatre and new play development, giving me the tools to begin my directing career right out of school.Tom Wojtunik ’02
2002, Major in Acting and Directing
Former Artistic Director, Astoria Performing Arts Center
Although I majored in Communication Arts, it was Prof. Bell’s Survey of Western Art I course that triggered my interest in building a career in the arts. [As a Teaching Assistant at The New School for Social Research], I hope to get my students as interested in the subject as I was when I took my Art History classes at MMC.Natalia Tuero ’14
The hands-on nature of the classes left me ready to jump into the technical theatre world with real, applicable skills and knowledge.Seán Linehan ’04
Class of 2004, BFA in Acting, Lighting Designer and Master Electrician
MMC’s New York City
The center of theatre in the United States, NYC is an amazing city in which to find your artistic voice. The College is centrally located in Manhattan and offers classes that allow students to experience the richness of the city. Our students are exposed to great theatre – on Broadway, Off-Broadway, along Theatre Row, and downtown in experimental theaters. Performance research and study is available throughout the city. Internships. Apprenticeships. Emerging media. This city is your campus.