At Marymount Manhattan College, we seek to create a residential experience that is inclusive of all gender identities and gender expressions. We believe that offering gender-neutral housing creates a safe and inclusive living and learning experience for all of our students.
What is gender-neutral housing?
Gender-neutral housing is based on the notion that there are more than two genders. In fact, there is an infinite combination of biological sexes, gender identities, or gender expressions that may comprise one’s gender identity. Gender-neutral housing means that students from all gender identities and expressions may choose to live together.
- Students must OPT IN to participate; if you are interested in gender neutral housing, you are open to living with a person of any gender.
- If you are under 18, you will need your parent’s permission to participate. We encourage all students to share their decision with their family.
- You may select your own roommates. All requests must be mutual, and be submitted by the deadline.
- If you sign up for gender neutral housing and don’t have a roommate request, we will match you based on your application preferences.
- In the event that your roommate moves out mid-year, another student may be placed into your room who has also opted-in to gender neutral housing.
- Please understand that individuals are not placed into gender neutral rooms based on sex.
How should I involve my parents in this decision?
We encourage students interested in gender-neutral housing to share the decision with their parents. Let them know why this option is important to you, even though parental permission to select a gender-neutral room isn’t required for students who are 18 or over. Students who are under 18 must obtain parental consent for this option.