- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/106/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/14274_new_trans_rigths.rev.1479397783.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Gender and Sexuality Studies Minor</h1></div><!-- LW: otherwise show the image caption if a caption exists --><div class="hero__extra"><a href="/live/image/gid/106/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/14274_new_trans_rigths.jpg" class="hero__about" title="First trans solidarity rally and march, Washington, DC USA" data-minimodal="true" data-minimodal-rootclass="minimodal--alt" data-minimodal-caption="First trans solidarity rally and march, Washington, DC USA"><span class="svg svg--plus hero__about__icon"><svg data-xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 33 33"><path d="M33 15v3H18v15h-3V18H0v-3h15V0h3v15z"/></svg></span>About this image</a></div><!-- LW: Video comes last so it doesn't break other content --></div>
Where do the norms of gender identity come from? How are rules about sexual orientation created? If you’ve ever questioned socially situated categories, then you know that gender and sexuality matter. In fact, they are right at the center of important debates about our identities, our bodies, and our place in society. Gender and Sexuality Studies is an enriching complement to whichever field of study you decide to major in.
Why Study Gender and Sexuality Studies at MMC?
In New York City, you will have unparalleled access to experiential learning opportunities. Snag a spot in the United Nations Women Internship Program or conduct research at the Guttmacher Institute, one of the country’s leading reproductive health policy organizations. At MMC, you can serve as an officer in the College’s Gender and Sexuality Club or lead the greater MMC community at the NYC Pride March. Historic LGBTQ+ locations, like the Stonewall Inn, or off-the-beaten path gatherings like Bushwig, situate the minor in radical place and politics. There is no better place to engage in Gender and Sexuality Studies than in New York City, the beating heart of the field.
What You Will Learn
After completing the Gender and Sexuality Studies minor, students will be able to:
- Analyze sexual and gendered phenomena
- Recognize systems of sexuality and gender
- Appraise and identify the social construction of gender and sexuality
- Identify and assess sexuality and gender at the intersection or race, age, ability and class
- Delineate between interpersonal and societal phenomena
Griffins are Proud
Each June, MMC students participate in the New York City Pride March to celebrate the LGBTQ community.