- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/43/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/24917_Social_Justice_Ambassadors.rev.1692889113.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Race and Antiracism Minor</h1></div><!-- LW: otherwise show the image caption if a caption exists --><!-- LW: Video comes last so it doesn't break other content --></div>
Race and Antiracism is an interdisciplinary minor that promotes antiracist thought and action. Students will study how society, culture, politics and, the economy organize and produce historically contingent concepts of “race” and their intersection with other forms of social difference, including, but not limited to, class, gender, and nationality.
Why Study Race and Antiracism at MMC?
Students will apply their understanding of racist structures to develop anti-racist projects and practices, with the goal of transforming our College and society. The internal logic of the minor requires that students progress from required core courses that introduce the history and theory of race, to more specialized, discipline-specific ones.
What You Will Learn
- Demonstrate an understanding of the history and development of concepts of race
- Engage in critical analysis of the construction and deployment of racial concepts in diverse cultural and historical contexts
- Engage in critical analysis of racist beliefs, practices, and institutions (systemic and structural racism)
- Interrogate whiteness and white supremacy at the core of racist beliefs, practices, and institutions
- Demonstrate understanding of contemporary literature on anti-racism
- Learn to develop and engage in successful anti-racist strategies
The Sojourner Truth Suffrage Academy
Designed to give students the opportunity to explore the history of enfranchisement in the United States and beyond, the Academy offers connection- and immersion-level courses, from American History classes to Black Female Sexuality in Film, Photography and Social Engagement, and The Social Psychology of Dress, among others. The Academy also offers a robust speaker series and collaborates with MMC’s renowned Prison Education programs.