- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/7/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/18779_Lacy_Budd_Alum_design_4.4.16_copy.rev.1616174552.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Graphic Design Concentration</h1></div><!-- LW: otherwise show the image caption if a caption exists --><div class="hero__extra"><a href="/live/image/gid/7/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/18779_Lacy_Budd_Alum_design_4.4.16_copy.jpg" class="hero__about" title="Graphic Design Landing Image" data-minimodal="true" data-minimodal-rootclass="minimodal--alt" data-minimodal-caption="Graphic Design Landing Image"><span class="svg svg--plus hero__about__icon"><svg data-xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 33 33"><path d="M33 15v3H18v15h-3V18H0v-3h15V0h3v15z"/></svg></span>About this image</a></div><!-- LW: Video comes last so it doesn't break other content --></div>
You have a keen eye and a creative mind. In Graphic Design, you’ll learn to stylize content to attract the attention of a target audience. Uniting graphic arts with marketing principles, designers develop the talent to conceive, create, and produce commercial work in a variety of styles.
Why Study Graphic Design at MMC?
To be a designer, you must not only master industry-specific software and technology but also develop your artistry and cultivate your intellect. In other words, you must take advantage of the precise type of liberal arts education that MMC provides. In New York City, you’ll be surrounded by great design and legendary designers. Pop into MoMA, which holds the scrap paper that Milton Glaser scrawled the concept for his famous I Love New York logo. Visit the Cooper-Hewitt Design Museum or the Museum of Arts and Design for inspiration. Intern at one of the city’s big design firms or get experience at a media company. Gawk at the sheer amount of Helvetica in the city’s subway system.
What You Will Learn
- You will learn three areas of design—theoretical, technical, and creative—through demonstrations, lectures, one-on-one consultations, and presentations by dedicated professors and leading professionals in New York.
- You will gain an understanding of foundational design principles and theories that are necessary for success in all fields of media design and production.
- You will develop a robust skill set applicable to a host of creative fields, including branding, corporate design, and advertising.
- You will produce a professional portfolio in a specific field of media design—including print design, web design, illustration, 3-D animation, photography, or a similar area—that will prepare you for graduate programs or any number of design-oriented careers.
During my senior year the Graphic Design program at MMC arranged for a summer internship for me at a New York City corporate design firm. Thanks to the flexibility that MMC offers to students I was ready with the necessary tools for this job. After graduation, they offered me a junior designer full-time position. I worked with an incredible team of designers that was willing to share their knowledge with me, especially the owner of the company whom I consider now my mentor. After two years of professional experience I was accepted in the Communication Design graduate program at Pratt Institute in Brooklyn.Rosemarie Arroliga ’16
Class of 2016, Graphic Design and Marketing double major
The Hewitt Gallery of Art
Join visitors from across the NYC art community and take in exhibitions from emerging and mid-career contemporary artists. As an art major, you’ll also have the opportunity to showcase your work at the gallery.