- <div class="hero" style="background-image: url(/live/image/gid/7/width/1600/height/480/crop/1/25481_Art_Classroom.rev.1617313880.jpg)"><div class="hero__container hero__container--flex"><h1 class="hero__title">Art Therapy Minor</h1></div><!-- LW: otherwise show the image caption if a caption exists --><!-- LW: Video comes last so it doesn't break other content --></div>
Explore the mental health and human services professions in a unique minor that combines your interests in psychology and art. Get prepped for art therapy grad programs, and ultimately for work in schools, hospitals, community centers, crisis centers, or with private clients.
Why Study Art Therapy at MMC?
The Art Therapy minor introduces students to the basic principles and practices in the field of art therapy. By linking art and psychology, you’ll have new opportunities for personal growth in clinical and educational settings through theoretical and applied for work in small classes. You’ll receive guidance and internship possibilities from a professional art therapist. Use the MMC studios for hands-on projects—great for clinical settings—and benefit from NYC’s rich network of resources.
What You Will Learn
- Understand the creative and therapeutic process in art therapy.
- Demonstrate skills in the application of a variety of art modalities (drawing, painting, clay, puppetry).
- Demonstrate knowledge of human developmental and psychological theories.
- Learn about the role of art-making within therapeutic art treatment through case study reviews.
- Cultivate personal and professional insight into the use of art experiential processes.
The Hewitt Gallery of Art
The Hewitt Gallery of Art showcases student artwork and is a venue for professional artists to exhibit their work, providing MMC students with the experience of meeting and connecting to the urban art community. Students gain firsthand experience in organizing and curating exhibits with the gallery director and guest professionals. Faculty and students often discuss the exhibitions in courses.